Monday, July 11, 2016

Round 2

 

Early after my cancer diagnosis I often thought 'I could write a book about this.' My life was so full of unfairness - of getting this deadly cancer so young, of having to give up so much, of not getting to raise my own son. But-- who would want to read that book? It would only be full of sad thoughts and unanswered questions. It wasn't until more recently that I realized 'if I wouldn't want to read that book - why should I live that life?' So I set out to change my story. My new story is one that is richer and more full of life than it was even before all of this happened. I believe it was Christopher Reeve who said "When you chose hope, anything's possible"? There is a lot of truth in that and I look forward to sharing with you some of the amazing things that have happened in my life lately when I have more time. As with nearly everything in my life so far, it's not always what I had in mind but it sure turns out beautifully.

An update on my treatment. I had my second round of the Ipi/Nivo combination on Friday (three days ago) and still no problematic side effects! Two more to go and the combination will be complete and I will have my next round of scans (bite fingernails). Having some confusing pain symptoms - only symptom from the MM (mucosal melanoma) that I have right now is intermittent aching in my pelvis. I can't seem to get a handle on whether that's due to treatment related inflammation or growth but since nobody can really answer that question for me I will chose to believe the former until I know otherwise (and count my blessings that I don't have more pain).

My 'alternative' treatment regimen has grown, yet again. A friend connected me with a local healer who works with herbal remedies and it turns out I have two potentially helpful herbs in abundance in my garden (which could seriously supply a mid-size restaurant in Nashville). Rosemary and sage! Today I created a new 'cocktail' that consisted of said herbs and also a large amount of raw garlic and some lime juice (BOOM!). I used to always avoid garlic because I'm very sensitive to it but I've decided to just jump off the deep end with it and perhaps I'll get used to it (at worst I'll be less likely to attract vampires). The challenge is finding things that won't interfere with my immune therapies and because they are newer, there isn't really any research on this, so I'm just avoiding anything considered 'detoxing.'


No comments:

Post a Comment